28 July 2009

The Sixth Part of 30 Years and Counting: Some Like It Hot

Some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on.
Some feel the heat and decide that they can't go on.
Some like it hot, but you can't tell how hot 'til you try.
Some like it hot, so let's turn up the heat 'til we fry.


- from Some Like It Hot by The Power Station*


Justine's hug pretty much launched a stellar night for me. As with Thursday night, it was wonderful having the opportunity to renew old friendships and to turn casual acquaintances into new friendships. One of the highlights of the new friendships I made was when I discovered that Patrick, with whom I'd had a casual acquaintance in high school, was one of the people I consider the true heroes of the United States. It seems that after high school, he decided his first college major just wasn't working for him, so he managed to earn an appointment to the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis from which he graduated in 1985 and earned his Commission. He is currently the highly-decorated Commanding Officer of a Ticonderoga class guided missile cruiser.

The rest of the night was much the same; a blur of hugs, smiles, laughter, and amazement as I learned how far so many of my classmates had come since our days on South Hudson Avenue. I didn't even think once about 'Captain Paranoia.'

Saturday dawned, promising to be hot, humid, and sunny. Our first event of the day was a Class Picnic that some of the locals had put together at the last minute. My sense of duty wouldn't let me arrive empty-handed, so I stopped at SAM's and grabbed a case of bottled water. Its a good thing I did.

To be fair, living in the Austin area has me acclimated to summer days when the temperature and the humidity are both in the high 90's. I've learned that, as long as I have a hat, a source of water, and either shade or a good supply of SPF 50, a fun time can be had. So I showed up at LaFortune Park with my "workin' in the yard" hat, a case of bottled water, and a heavy-duty camp chair. After stashing the water with the rest and grabbing an already-chilled bottle, I let my memory continue its jogging.

Alan, Gary, Eddie, and all the rest did a fantastic job. The barbeque served was actually prepared by my classmates and it was delicious! But the big surprise from this event was that I discovered that at least a couple of my classmates had been receiving some extra-special tutoring from a couple of teachers. There had always been rumors and innuendos, but it was still entertaining to find out the truth. Hot summer day, hot food, and hot news. Gotta love it!

Next time, S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!

Until then, best regards...


* Some Like It Hot © Capitol/EMI 1985, 2005


© James P. Rice 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment