31 July 2009

30 Years and Counting, Pt. 7 - S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!
S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!

Gonna keep on dancin' to the rock and roll
On Saturday night, Saturday night!
Dancin' to the rhythm in our heart and soul
On Saturday night, Saturday night!


- from Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers*


Seven bottles of water, a plate full of Texas-quality barbeque, and an earful of hot news later, it was time to get ready for the big dinner at the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame. After another admonishment from Bo about wearing a tie, in which he used the word "scissors" a couple more times, I decided to go for 'artist casual' and wore black slacks and a Columbia blue pocket T. Unfortunately, the dress shoes I'd worn the night before had aggravated a problem in my Achilles tendon, so I had to wear my hiking boots in order to have the support I needed to walk.

When I arrived at the former Union Depot in downtown Tulsa, I noticed quite a few sports jackets and ties (when will I learn not to take fashion advice from Bo?!?) There were also more than a few people in 'business casual'...tieless with open collars...so I didn't really feel out of place.

At the risk of being redundant, the food was wonderful and the company exquisite! I continued catching up with classmates whom I'd either only exchanged a quick "Hi!" with or had completely missed at the other gatherings. I also got to know some of my classmates' spouses better. Kelly, Clel, Patrick, and Justine have all married some wonderful people.

After dinner, we were entertained by a singing trio called, The G-notes. They were very versatile and entertaining...using canned accompaniment to sing the hits of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Couples immediately began to hit the dance floor…Sheri was as enthusiastic as she had been 30 years ago. After their first set, we all adjourned outside to have a group photo take under the Depression-era Art Deco facade of the restored Union Depot. Afterward, it was back inside for more chatting and dancing. Diane even got me out on the dance floor once...hiking boots and all. All in all, a fabulous time was had by all. It was incredible seeing how much people like Patrick, Brian, Janet, and Clel had changed over the years…but more stunning was how many like Betsy, Justine, Diane, Mike, Gordon, and Dana look as if the only thing that had changed was their hair styles. I don’t think any of us wanted that night to end…but as has been said many times before, all good things must come to an end.

As people began to filter out, there was a lot more hugging, promises to keep in touch, and more than a few tears. For most people, Sunday was going to be a day of travel back to their homes. That had been my original plan, but one more last minute gathering had been planned for Sunday…a reunion of Memorial’s drama club, the Masque & Gavel.

Next time, Send in the Clowns. Until then, best regards…



* Saturday Night © Bell/Arista Records 1974, 2004


© James P. Rice 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment