24 July 2009

A Quart of 30 Years and Counting -or- Memories: They aren't just for Cats!

"Memory - all alone in the moonlight.
I can smile at the old days,
I was beautiful then.
I remember the time I knew what happiness was.
Let the memory live again."

- excerpt from "Memory" from the musical, Cats*


First night in Tulsa and I felt as if I'd returned home. Great music, cold Guinness, and a wonderfully warm welcome by old friends...and some classmates who had only been casual acquaintances. Even though it was an unofficial event, everyone attending Jaimie's concert at the Sunset Grill had a great time. It turns out this was to be a precursor of the theme for the whole Reunion: great venue, excellent company, and a wonderful time had by all.

One of the best parts of that first night is that my memory took up jogging. After all the "its great to see you agains," nearly every conversation became a mix of catching up and reminiscing. Even now, my memory is playing tricks with me and I'm certain I missed mentioning someone who greeted me Thursday night. Let me assure you that it isn't intentional...a combination of the stresses I've experienced over the last few years and the pain management meds doctors have prescribed for me have wreaked havoc with my memory...especially short term. This is one of the reasons I decided to blog about the Reunion...to help keep my memory jogging.

Walking around the Sunset Grill...chatting with everyone...I found myself suddenly remembering more and more. In some cases, it was an expression on a somewhat familiar face...a turn of phrase...or even one reminiscence simply leading to another. The curtains gradually parted on the stage of the past and, one by one, my memories began to step into the spotlight and take a bow. Have I mixed enough metaphors yet?

I went back to my dad's apartment that night, the evening a cyclone in my mind. Before going to bed, I logged into Facebook and and sent 'friend' invitations to many of the people I re-met at the club. I began making notes, hoping they would help me organize my thoughts and ensure I would remember as much as possible.

Next time, the Hug of the Century and Take Me Back to Tulsa.

Until then, best regards...


* Cats © Copyright The Really Useful Group Ltd. 1981


© James P. Rice 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment