26 July 2009

A Fifth of 30 Years and Counting -or- Take Me Back to Tulsa

Hurry, don't be late, I can hardly wait.
I said to myself, "when we're old
We'll go dancing in the dark,
Walking through the park, and reminiscing."


- excerpt from Reminiscing by the Little River Band*

Friday morning, after a few hours sleep on Dad's sofa and a late breakfast, I took off to tour Tulsa and do some reminiscing. This was my first time back to town since I'd moved away in 1984 that wasn't stuffed full of family commitments and scheduled events. I wanted to look around my birthplace and see for myself the changes I'd heard about. So I headed for the places that were a big part of my teen years: Sheridan Lanes...the Bowman Twin...Don's Restaurant...Bells...Driller Park...St. Michael's Alley. Okay, in some cases I visited the spot where the place used to be.

I also took the time to find the venues for the Reunion. While downtown checking on parking for the Jazz Depot, I saw the new BOk Center and the pit at First and Frankfort I'm told will be the Drillers' new stadium. It was strange seeing some of the old landmarks hidden amongst new construction. Finally, it was time to get ready for the Meet-n-Greet at the Stokely Event Center, so I headed back to my Dad's place to clean up.

Somewhere along the way, I'd missed the note in the schedule that said 'casual attire,' so I wore a tie to Friday night's event. As soon as I arrived, I knew I was over-dressed. After a few choice words from Bo (which included 'scissors'), the tie came off and I began mingling. . I saw many of the same faces I'd seen at the Sunset Grill, but I have to say the highlight of the night was when I was finally able to get a moment with Justine.

In high school, Justine and I were casual friends. We were in different clubs and orgs...she was in Surfs, STUCO, and the NHS, while I was in Wind Ensemble, Masque & Gavel, and barely graduated...but we had a couple of classes together. The thing I most remember about Justine is that she always had a smile for me. When I began connecting with classmates in Facebook, she was one of the first I 'Friended.' Over the months, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the mom/banker/entrepreneur into which she had blossomed. The better I got to know her, the more I came to value her opinions and input...even when I did not agree with them.

When I spied her Friday night conversing with three of our classmates, I moved over near her and patiently waited for her to finish, all the while trying not to eaves drop. When she noticed me, though, she immediately paused and came over to greet me.

Now, I have to say that the best non-Maternal hug I've ever received in my life was from my darling wife, Marilyn. But I have to admit that the best non-spousal hug I've ever received was that Friday night from Justine. It was an embrace between old, dear friends...so full of warmth and kindness that the last of my misgivings fled. I received many warm hugs that weekend, but I have to be honest; none could approach Justine's hug. I only hope she got half as much out of it as I did.

In the next installment, Some Like It Hot. Until then, best regards...



* Reminiscing © EMI Music Australia Pty Limited 2002


© James P. Rice 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment