13 August 2009

Healthcare in America: A Clarification

Good day, family and friends!

Well, it appears that I'm on the right track. The definition I provided for American Progressivism alone generated quite a debate in Facebook...so much so that I decided I needed to clarify a few points from what I've posted so far before I go any further.

First point: the definitions I provided, specifically those for the political philosophies, are not mine. Those are the definitions provided by universally recognized experts in their fields; experts such as:

> The editors of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition;

> Ronald J. Pestritto, Shipley Professor of the American Constitution at Hillsdale College;

> William J. Atto, Ph.D., American Historian and Researcher specializing in the 19th Century and Assistant Professor of History at the University of Dallas;

> Herbert Croly, founder and first editor of The New Republic.

Second point: the only personal opinion I have so far presented in this series is that the debate on healthcare in America "is rapidly devolving into shrill screaming matches split along the lines of political philosophies." As this series continues, I will make a point to indicate when I am expressing an opinion. I will also be providing a complete bibliography of my sources at the end.

Third point: I am not making this a contest between Good and Evil. I provided the definitions of the various political philosophies in order to provide a foundation for the various proposals that have been made to fix, improve, and/or change healthcare in our nation. I firmly believe it to be of the utmost importance that we understand the philosophies and motives behind the various suggestions so that an informed decision can be made.

Finally, please keep the input coming. I really do love any and all thoughtful questions, comments, and criticisms about my blog. Keep in mind, though, that if you take exception to data that I quote from a documented source, please take it out on the source and not the messenger.

Next time, how accessible is Healthcare in America?

Until then, best regards...


© James P. Rice 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment